The fans of Tristan MacManus have long been referred to as MacManiacs, even well before this website was born in November, 2011. Indeed, we’re a loud, vocal group but we think that we’re also kind of tame - all things considered.
Clearly, Tristan doesn’t think so. In his radio interview with Andy Steinhauser a few weeks ago, we heard it right from the man himself – the “MacLunatics.” We’re pretty sure that wasn’t intentional – or maybe it was spot on - but nonetheless, the name has a kind of wacky appeal to it, to the extent that not only is there a Twitter account for @TheMacManiacs, but now there is a gathering place for @TheMacLunatics. Ah, you have to love social media.
We decided that there must be some criteria to qualify one as a MacLunatic. After all, being a MacManiac might not be enough to cross that fine line into MacLunacy. So there’s a checklist. It’s scientific and all that so give yourself points and see if you’re a MacLunatic, a MacManiac, or both. Lots of "yes" points mean you're definitely a MacLunatic but since our point system is screwy anyway, anything goes.
1. If you have referred to yourself as a MacManic ten or more times.
Yes: 10 points
No: 5 points just for thinking about it
2. If you have traveled more than 100 miles or considered traveling more than 100 miles to see Tristan perform live.
Yes: 147 points
No: Seriously? You’ve never considered it? Dudes and Dudettes, you have to at least thought about it! You might kicked out of the organization, but if you honestly said no, then you give yourself nada. Deduct 2,000 points. You’re already behind.
3. If you’re posted more than 10 times (or 10 times an hour) on the MacManiacs.org forum.
Yes: 5000 points
No: 100 points – Okay, we get that not all MacManiacs post on our forum – but to be a MacLunatic you probably post occasionally. 10 times is nothing. Even my pet fish does that much.
4. If you can easily answer every Tristan Trivia question on the forum, including important stuff like “How many times has Tristan worn suspenders on DWTS” or “Which dance lasted exactly 1:42 and on what date did it happen?” Maybe that last one is an exaggeration. Maybe not.
Yes: 122 points
No: Just get a tattoo that says, “Seriously?” and be done with it. Still a MacManiac though. Maybe just not a MacLunatic, but as you can see the criteria aren’t overly logical.
5. If you joined Twitter just to show support for Tristan.
Yes: 100 points
No : 78 points – we figure just being on Twitter must be worth something, you crazy MacLunatic.
6. If you think Tristan’s decision to call the MacManiacs MacLunatics is pure genius.
Yes: 1,000 points
No: 500 points. It’s brilliant. Might as well admit it and rack up some brownie points.
7. If you think MacLoonies is a perfectly acceptable nickname for MacLunatic.
Yes: 100 points
No: 0 points. Where’s your sense of humor?
8. If you posted on the “You might be a Tristan MacManus fan if….” forum thread more than 5 times and decided not to hog the thread and be greedy by posting another 70 times.
Yes: 10 points
No: You get nuttin’.
9. If you now look for Jameson whiskey on trips to the liquor store.
Yes: 20 points
No: 20 points. Okay. Not everybody drinks. We’ll give you this freebie.
10. If you would be perfectly willing to make an ass out of yourself by dancing with Tristan should the opportunity arise.
Yes: 1000 points
No: Sigh. Haven’t we taught you anything?
11. If you despise feathers unless they are on a parrot or toucan species type – not on costumes.
Hell yes: 1000 points
A polite yes: 622 points
No, I love feathers: 0 points
12. Sequins on dance costumes for men give you hives.
Yes: 75 points
No: Grrrrr – 0
13. Spray tans on DWTS make you require sunglasses and have caused you severe vision impairment.
Yes: 612 points
No: 0 points
14. If your outrage about Tristan not being a Season 18 pro has caused an ongoing malady of “Outrage-itis” which has defied medical expertise and treatment.
Yes: 1000 points
No: You get nothing for saying no to this one.
15. If you have developed an affinity for Irish dancers with a tattoo (or maybe twelve tattoos).
Yes: 672 points
No: 3 points – after all, not everybody likes tattoos, but still….
16. If you think “the chest” is as it should be. Sure this might be shallow, but so what? That never stopped us before.
Yes: 715 points
No: 3 points – just because we’re being nice.
Have a whole bunch of random points for all of those yes answers? Then you're a MacLunatic MacManiac. Okay, so you’re all MacLunatics. We’re thinking group tattoos might be in order.